style Do you ever feel like your life is in a rut? Do you feel like your life is just kind of moving along without you? My life has been in a rut for a while. Depression takes over sometimes and it becomes hard to […]
School is back in session and the time has finally come, the days have been counted down and it is time for the children to return to their daily torture! (so they say) Mom is no longer sole provider of all entertainment, no longer referee, no longer chauffeur. At least not for a few hours anyways! Its time for someone else to love and nurture our darling little nuggets. It is time for the teachers to teach our babies many wonderful things they will need to know to be decent human beings. Teachers i humbly pass the entertainment baton to you.
Tag teachers, your it!
Now that you have so much FREE time while the rugrats are at school, what do you do with such time? I am ecstatic that both of my minions are going to be stuck in school all day. Good bye 3 hour, waste of MY time kindergarten! Now on days that the hubby is working I have 7 glorious hours of piece and quite! The big question now is how do i pencil in some good old fashioned ME TIME in that glorious 7 hours. I’m sure that there is laundry that needs to be washed, and dishes done, and picking up and dusting and errands and all the other things that mom is in charge of every day. Not to mention if you are also working or in school that just adds to the list of things that need to be done.
My question to you is, Where are you finding time for yourself? We have all heard about how important it is to take time for ourselves and how it makes us a better mother and everything. In case you are having some trouble finding some things to do I have compiled a wonderful list of helpful ideas of things to spend your glorious me time on!
Mommies Me Time List
- Sip coffee (or tea) and watch that show that you love that is not appropriate for child eyes, completely uninterrupted!
- Shower, or hell go crazy and take a relaxing bubble bath with one of those fancy bath bomb things!
- Make your favorite treat and eat the whole thing. Never mention said treat to anyone, if no one knows, the calories didn’t count! My favorite, brownies or ice cream with all the delicious fixings.
- Do that super cute craft that you were going to save for your kids to help with but it involves glitter and you know that you probably will snap trying to do it with the kids present. So why not enjoy it alone. Crafting alone can be so relaxing!
- Paint your nails, or do a face mask, or soak your feet in Epsom salt. Do something that is for you and makes you feel good and relaxed because after all, summer was kind of stressful.
Read a book, with no pictures in it for once!
- Take a LONG shower and actually shave your legs! Or just stand in the hot water and enjoy it as long as the hot water lasts.
- Eat one of those GROSS lunches that the kids hate. Something with fun healthy ingredients (or not). Eat all those things that you try to cram into the reluctant little Gremlins and enjoy every single bite!
- Blast that Gangsta Rap you know you love, or in my case, all 90’s all the time! Sing and dance and have fun. Dance like no one is watching, because unless you have creepy peeping neighbors no one actually is watching
- Go hit up Target and wander through all those isles you don’t take the kids down because they will break things. Enjoy your hours strolling through beautiful bed sheets, kitchen gadgets and breakable home decor until you little heart is content!
Now that you have some good ideas of things to do while the kiddos are at school I hope you do actually take some Me Time.
Why do we need Me Time?
In order to be good mothers and take care of our children we must first take care of our self. I know that some of these ideas were a little funny and I’m sure that most moms won’t be spending their precious time alone sipping bubbly in the tub. What I do hope is that us mom’s learn to put ourselves first for just a minute. It is so hard to always, always, always put everyone else first.
Sometimes I get the feeling that I am the only one that cares in my family. I’m the only one that cares that my oldest has her favorite socks to wear the first day of school.
I am the only one who thinks about making special dinners because this kid or hubby really likes it.
It is so easy to forget to take care of myself
When I get in these funks of not loving myself its hard to get out of. It is hard to break the cycle of thinking that i have to fix everything that is broken or tend to everyone eases every whim. I need to remember that sometimes i just need to disconnect, unplug and take some me time. Some of the ways I do crawl out of that pit of despair is by doing small things for myself.
Now I realize that i am preaching to the choir, and I am a total Hypocrite.
I don’t always take my own advice even though i know i should. I have bent over backwards to make others happy. Sometimes i get so lost in serving others that i forget i am important too. Last Christmas i chose a small victory for my self. You have no idea how good it felt for me when I was trying to plan Christmas Eve dinner and decided to make a banana cream pie for dessert because it’s my favorite and everyone else can eat it or go without. It was a beautiful handmade delicious thing of perfection. I had to keep telling my self I couldn’t eat it until desert.
Then when I was pulling it out of the fridge to serve, the pan I had it in gave away and it all ended up on the bottom of the fridge.
I then proceeded to melt into a puddle of tears on the floor with the pie. I was such a mess. My Husband didn’t know if he should hold me or laugh because i was bawling over a pie. It took me a long time to calm down because I had been keeping so much inside and never took time for me. When the one thing I finally did do for myself hit the floor.
It broke me.
That was the last straw.
This is what happens when you don’t do enough things for yourself, and it’s not pretty!
After the dreaded banana cream pie indecent of 2016 I have vowed to make sure that i am setting aside some time for me every week. Since I am working full time my “me time” is usually on my days off. On these days I tend to give in to my desire to be incredibly lazy! I like to binge watch great shows like I Zombie, Orange is the new black and Shadow Hunters. Most of the list i provided are things i love to do to make me feel happy. I urge you to do something that makes you happy, even if it is absolutely nothing!
It is so important to take care of yourself, whats that saying? “Happy wife, Happy life” totally works for moms too!
Let me know what things you do to keep your sanity and love yourself. We could all use more ideas to help keep us happy.
P.S. Also check out my amazing Pinterest board packed with tips, tricks and totally doable ways to fit in a little ME TIME! https://www.pinterest.com/sscbeard/mommies-me-time/
Every year when my kids birthdays come around i would get totally stressed out! I am somehow now expected to pull an amazing party out of thin air that will undoubtedly top last years extravaganza! I’m done feeling like a second rate mom because i […]
Lists are fun right?
little tidbits of info about a person. Since were all new here i figured what better way for my readers to get to know me than to overshare a few details about my self, give you all a little glimpse into my real life. lets get to know the real Bearded Mama!
20 wonderful things you always wanted to know
- Born and raised in one state my whole life, Utah
- I have been with my hubby for 7 years, we got married finally February 6, 2016
- I have 2 beautiful children, Ciera 10 and Atticus 6
- Absolutly love to cook, all foods, and i am constantly in search for the next fun thing to cook
- Graduated with a BS in Psychology focusing on Family Studies
- I was a Cheesemonger for about 3 months and absolutly loved it, the stinkier the cheese the better!
- My guilty pleasure show is naked and afraid!
- I live in a hardcore nerd family. We love some Doctor Who, Supernatural, Sherlock, marvel superheros and if Jason Mamoa (new Aquaman) ever gave me the time of day i would melt into a puddle of goo!!! (hence the Aquaman cosplay)
- only have 1 tattoo at the moment but about a million more planned.
I am a Slytherin
- love to paint and craft, and as my daughter calls it be “Artsy Fartsy”
- I am a licensed Family Wellness teacher and have taught the Strengthening Families course several times.
- If someone else would pay for it i would absolutely go to pastry school and my dream job would be decorating wedding cakes
- I love to play with Legos, i have since i was a child and have agreed to share my collection with the kiddos and hubby. We regularly will all sit at the kitchen table with all the Legos spread out and build things for hours. Great fun!
I love coffee, my favorite is an iced coconut milk mocha with cookie dough syrup!
- I am lactose intollerant but i dont let that stop me from loving me some dairy products
- Absolutely despise washing dishes and starting laundry
- I’m a little bit of a hoarder/pack rat, i like to keep stuff, but its all neatly packed into boxes of random crap.
- love to make lists and plan things, grocery lists, to do lists, packing lists, i love them all
- I really enjoy a good glass of wine at the end of the day, my go to favorite is Apothinc Dark, it is a delicious dark red wine. I especially love this pared with some amazing stinky cheese, aged meat and crusty bread, it is truly the way to my heart, just ask the hubby!
- I am not a bearded woman, My last name is Beard, so I thought Beardedmama would be a fun unique name for my fun unique blog!